SABRAO is a society devoted to basic and practical aspects of plant genetics and breeding research. The SABRAO Journal of Breeding and Genetics is published by the Society and focuses on plant species or topics that are relevant to developing countries in Asia and Oceania. The journal operates on a not-for-profit basis. Scientists from the region are cordially invited to become members.
The Society holds a general assembly approximately every four years, often in association with a kindred society, and through its regional and sectional organizations, and sponsors meetings for special interest groups as the needs and opportunities arise.
INSTRUCTIONS TO AUTHORS
Articles submitted to the SABRAO Journal of Breeding and Genetics must be original reports of merit dealing with any aspect of plant breeding or genetics not previously or simultaneously submitted to, or published in, any other scientific or technical journal.
Articles should be submitted directly to the Editor-in-Chief by email: sabrao_journal_editor
Processing of manuscripts is only initiated AFTER all terms and conditions have been accepted:
- Publication fee will be paid after the article has been published
- The manuscript is not currently being reviewed by another journal
- All authors have agreed to submit the article to SABRAO Journal of Breeding and Genetics
- Copyright is assigned to SABRAO
- Potential reviewers are nominated
For more details, download SABRAO Journal Instructions to Authors (pdf).
Plant breeding has changed considerably in the last 20 years. The Editorial Board has decided that from 2013 onwards, the scope of SABRAO J. Breed. Genet. will focus on specific topics of breeding and genetics research that are of direct practical relevance to plant breeders. Classical quantitative genetics research will be considered in the context of how useful the research is to breeders. Authors conducting research in the following topics will be encouraged to submit their articles to the journal:
- Molecular breeding (e.g. marker assisted selection)
- QTL mapping and validation
- Genetic diversity analysis – primarily using DNA markers
- Use of agronomic, morphological or physiological traits in selection
- Multi-environment trial analysis
- Germplasm evaluation
- New methods (e.g. phenotyping methods) of broad interest to breeders
- Classical quantitative genetics investigating the genetic control of simple or oligogenic traits, trait heritabilities, combining ability
Other topics may be submitted after consultation with the Editorial Board. Review articles are welcomed by the journal.
CALL FOR SOCIETY MEMBERS TO BE REVIEWERS FOR OUR JOURNAL
The SABRAO journal continues to receive a large number of articles. Reviewers play a critical role for the journal by evaluating and editing manuscripts. Interested society members - especially on topics involving quantitative genetics and genetic diversity - are encouraged to register as a potential reviewer for manuscripts submitted to the journal by emailing the Editor-in-Chief.
A NEW ELECTRONIC JOURNAL SYSTEM
From 2013 onwards, the journal will completely move to an electronic format with open access. All articles will be published as pdf files on the website. This was a unamnimous decision made during the SABRAO General Meeting held in January 2012 based on providing greater access for the journal and due to the financial status of the society. Limited printing of hard copies will still continue mainly for institutions or libraries by subscription.